Friday, November 21, 2014

Dot Com to Dot Bomb

 I remember when the internet was first becoming known among the non-technical crowd, me included. I remember the confusion I felt when using a computer back then, likely about 1998. I was in community college and I had no idea how to use a computer. I used a word processor instead of one because I was too intimidated. It is amazing to me now that I figuratively could not live without one. My phone, a computer, literally keeps me on track every day. I think about the many who shared my confusion in the late 90's and early 2000's. I wonder are they now as dependent on technology as I am? It's so interesting to think that in the 90's,  there was an entire cyber world going on that I was completely unaware of (Dotcom boom), and that this world shaped the cyber world we live in today. What innovators these people who were starting businesses online in the 90's were. In a time where only a few even knew about the computer or how it worked, some people were already advanced enough to build a website and market ideas. The pioneers of an electronic world that we are so grateful for today. It is not surprising that some had to fail in order to have the luxuries we have on the internet  now: video streaming, shopping, social media. Not all can go the long haul. But although many of these online start ups failed, their worth is still noted. These start ups were the trailblazers.


No comments:

Post a Comment