Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Machine is Using Us--Video

My first thought about this video was, Amazing! It is so interesting to me that even in 2007 people knew the potential of the web. I didn't know, that is for sure. In 2007, I was working at a medical based company and was trying to figure out the ins-and-outs of Excel--likely cursing electronics and wishing for their demise! I was so completely unaware of the potential and immense capabilities of the internet and the electronic boom at that time. What is sad is that now in 2014, I can barely remember what my life was like before this electronic age. That is why this video is so amazing to me because it is a shocking glimpse at what has become reality.

I did not grow up with electronics. I hand wrote my papers and used a phone that was plugged into a wall. The fact that those things seem foreign to me now, truly makes me fearful. I am addicted to my electronic devices. I must have my phone on me at all times, and I do not like to turn it off, even for a few minutes. I feel as if I have ‘a monkey on my back.’ Yet, this phone I have brings me so much joy. I connect with my relatives far away through Facebook. I converse with people more often because now I can send a text and do not have to call. I have the world's knowledge at my fingertips. Again Amazing! Why am I afraid of this? I do not know the answer. Before I knew of electronic devices, I was fine, my life was full and fun, but I could never go back to that way of living now--no way.

The video is intriguing. I have watched it several times. Some of it does not appeal to me, mostly because I do not try to get inside the computers inner workings. My purpose on a computer is to seek out information, so the fact that form and content are separate is kind of a non-issue for me; although, I am sure I reap the benefits of that great innovation. The part of the video that really sticks to me as I watch it is the end. The part where it states, “we need to rethink a few things.” That part just hits home with me because it is creepy and absolutely true. Even I, a self-titled spectator to the sport of electronic revolution, am effected by “the machine” as it is referred to in the title of the video. I will have to rethink, privacy, family, myself, and many other things. This video opens up that conversation with myself; what do I think of these things? Honestly, I am not sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment